Monday, November 23, 2009

Lodging Police Report Against BN YBs


Defamatory & Seditious Remarks in The Borneo Post

Lodging Police Report Against BN YBs - Police Report No.1

On 13. 11. 2009 at about 10. 42 p.m., I received a SMS in which I suggest came from YB Karim Hamzah which said, “Evening YB. Almost all the BN ybs spoke up this afternoon offended by your racial overtone speech on 11th wh we deed as inciting n very seditions. I ve put on record in my debate this evening that if the damaging and seditious words are not withdrawn n an apology to the hse not made by Tues 17 Nov, I will ve to lodge a Police report for incitement n seditious remark.”

I was alarmed and felt threatened by the threat and it has caused fear and mental injury to me of a criminal investigation and prosecution against me which may affect my liberty. The unlawful threat together with the mentioning of the Internal Security Act (ISA) in the press was with the intention to obstruct my rights as a mouthpiece for the people of Sarawak and to my right of freedom of speech and immunity accorded to me by the Federal Constitution as an elected representative of the Legislative Assembly in debates I participated in the Dewan Undangan Negeri Sarawak.

I also lodge the police report because a publication in The Borneo Post dated November 19, 2009 was false and has seditious tendency which said, “Karim said Voon had uttered words in DUN which were deemed seditious and unhealthy for a multi-ethnic country Malaysia. You cannot use words that disrupt racial harmony and incite one race against the other. And that is how it sounded when you read those three paragraphs ( of the Hansard). It has that sorts of connotation.” YB Karim Hamzah and other BN YBs by calling a press conference or going to the press shows that they had the common intention to create hostility from the people of Malaysia towards me after on issues raised by me in my debate in Dewan Undangan Negeri. I also fear that their action can cause disruption to public order and public peace. The issues were in respect of the flaws in the Federal Constitution affecting the rights of natives and malays in Sarawak and the political implications of the Federal Constitution which should only be debated and dealt with inside the august House and not poured out of the House. No where was it my speech or my intention to disrupt the racial harmony of the people but the facts were twisted to fan hatred against me and therefore the publication and other things in connection thereto published out from the press conference were highly defamatory and malicious.

I lodge this police report for investigation for offences under criminal intimidation, criminal defamation and also for offences under the Internal Security Act 1960 and the Sedition Act 1948. I also seek the police and the relevant authorities to protect my safety and the safety of my family as we feel not safe at this moment.

Police Report No.2 - See what was published in The Borneo Post


The Borneo Post published Thursday November 19, 2009 said, “Masing, the President of Parti Rakyat Sarawak, said it was not true that the Malays in Sarawak had suppressed the Dayaks as alleged by Voon in his debate on Nov 11”. He (Voon Lee Shan) claimed that the Malays suppressed the Dayaks? This is not true. It would not be right for him to use racial issue to gain political mileage.”

In this police report, I made it clear that I never said the Malays in Sarawak had suppressed the Dayaks as alleged in the said publication, which, I deemed as highly defamatory because I never said these words in my debate speech during the Dewan Undangan Negeri sitting on 11 November, 2009.

First, these words in the publication in The Borneo Post, which are totally false, malicious are defamatory and tantamount to disparage my credibility. Second, these words may have a seditious tendency to incite the Malays and the Dayaks in Sarawak to breach public peace and public order. Third, it may have a tendency to incite and create hostility against me from the Malays and Dayaks in the Sarawak. The publications or words used therein had caused mental injury and agony to me and I am affected by the said untrue allegations and I fear for my safety and the safety of my family.

I lodged the police report after I was aware that I was suspiciously followed from behind by some people each time I went out in the City of Kuching. For the safety of myself, I have to be accompanied by my Party comrades, including YB Chong Chieng Jen and also YB Violet Yong. The state secretary Sdr. Saidin Sahini of Parti Islam SeMalaysia (PAS) of Sarawak and members of Parti KeAdilan Rakyat (PKR) Sarawak including its State Treasurer, Sdr. Wong Huan Yu also came to the police station and express their fear for my safety.

I wanted an investigation be carried out by the police for offences under the Penal Code, the Sedition Act 1948 and the Internal Security Act 1960 and that the police takes all necessary steps to diffuse any ill feelings by the people towards me and towards each other and I also seek police protection for myself and for my family.

In the recent sitting in the Dewan Undangan Negeri Sarawak, I raised the flaws of the federal constitution and their socio-economic and political implications caused by the flaws. I spoke on the issues upon the request of the Sarawak National Party (SNAP) on the plight of the dayaks because SNAP has no elected YB in the Legislative Assembly. Many of my dayak relatives and friends had also wanted me to speak on the issues because the federal government had overlooked the matter for the past 46 years and further not BN dayak YBs had been heard speaking on the matter either in the Federal Parliament or in the State Legislative Assembly.

In giving moral support, Sdr. Saidin Sahini also spoke on behalf of PAS to the press outside the police station.

Photos taken at Central Police Station - 21.11.2009

Figure 1: L-R Poh Bee Chiew, Chairman DAP Pending Branch, Stanley Embat of PKR, Saidin Sahini, Secretary of PAS Sarawak, Pui Vui Tat, Chairman DAP Stampin Branch and Chong Nam Soon from Pending Branch.

Figure 2: Talking to the Press after lodging police report at Central Police Station, Kuching.
The lady in blue is Chairperson of my DAP Batu Lintang Branch. Could be seen also is
Sdr. Saidin Sahini of PAS Sarawak.

Figure 3: MP Chong Chieng Jen with me speaking to the press outside the police station

Figure 4: Lodging police report in the Central Police Station Kuching accompanied by (L-R) Sdr. Pui Vui Tat, YB Violet Yong, YB Chong Chieng Jen, Sdr. Chong Nam Shoon and Sdr. Saidin Sahini of PAS Sarawak.



Figure 5: YB Chong Chieng Jen and Sdr. Pui Vui Tat watching me making my police report

Figure 6: The crowd inside the Central Police Station at time of lodging report


Figure 7: All in solidarity in support of me



Figure 8: YB Chong Chieng Jen talking to the press. The gentleman with the red T-Shirt is Joseph Tawie of the Broken Shield Blog and Miss Connie Chieng of the Eastern Times


Figure 9: Outside the police station with YB Chong Chieng Jen and YB Violet Yong

Figure 10: Outside the Central Police Station Kuching
L - R Sdr. Chong Nam Shoon, Sdr. Jong Jun Fook, Sdr. Pui Vui Tat, Sdr. Poh Bee Chiew, Voon Lee Shan and Sdr. Stanley Embat




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)